September 5, 2008

McCain's "worst speech" evar panned by pundits

My friends, CNN legal scholar Jeffrey Toobin hates America:

“I thought it was the worst speech by a nominee that I’ve heard since Jimmy Carter in 1980. I thought it was disorganized, I thought it was it was theme-less, I thought it was very, very boring… I personally cannot remember a single policy proposal that he made because they had nothing connecting them. I found it shockingly bad.”

More reactions:

"John McCain's nomination speech was so flat, so disjointed, so utterly devoid of any vision or affirmative plan for the U.S. -- it's hard to say much about it, other than it sucked." -- Ari Melber

The National Review: "[I]t was flat, forced and basically a free pass for Obama."

David Gergen: "Mostly a rerun of old republican ideas... It's hard to separate yourself out from President Bush when you essentially have the same economic policies as President Bush. I thought that the policy presentation was a little thin."

New Republic: "It's not over yet but this is a very underwhelming speech. Familiar points explained in pedestrian terms. No overarching themes--right now it's sounding like a State of the Union laundry list. Even the crowd in the hall isn't jazzed. This is the sort of reception Tom Ridge got."

Bush speechwriter Michael Gerson: "The policy in the speech was rather typical for a Republican. Pretty disappointing. It didn't do a lot of outreach to moderates and independents on issues that they care about. I think that was a missed opportunity. Many Americans needed to hear from this speech something they have never heard from Republicans before. And in reality, a lot of the policy they've heard from Republicans before."

NY Times Blog: "Some delegates fell asleep!"

Electoralvote.com: "McCain's speech was about change but entirely devoid of what he wanted to change."

After being in Washington for 26 years, now he's talking about 'change'?