December 14, 2007

Benchmarking

Jason C is asking 'what words do you hate?' Here are ones that for some reason make me want to cringe every time:

  • paradigm
  • synergy
  • grow, as in "grow the economy"
  • meme
  • nougat
  • epiglottis
  • doop, and its synonym hiney

    What about you?

  • 15 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Mine most hated word is "ointment."

    Anonymous said...

    "Basically"

    Phil said...

    "Department of Homeland Security" or any version of Homeland referring to the US.
    2. Nookular.
    3. Any word that comes out of Bush's mouth.

    Anonymous said...

    Mindless business phrases:

    1. Network(ing)

    2. Content (as in "content provider")

    3. Strategic (as in "strategic partner")

    JasonC said...

    ooh, yeah, "ointment" is bad. i'm with you on "nougat", too, maru. ew, ew, ew!

    Anonymous said...

    the word 'impact' used as a verb

    Anonymous said...

    'reach out' as in 'reach out to your manager'. How touchy-feely.

    Anonymous said...

    We're in a good position to leverage our infrastructure.

    And other contentless prose.

    Anonymous said...

    Viable
    Restructuring
    Thinking outside the box
    Win-win
    No-win
    Visionary
    Obfuscating

    Anonymous said...

    The grating business terms (I won't get into the 'politics' catagory due to space limitations -- but 'Republican talking points' would be the short description) for me are:

    'short' meeting
    cost effective
    total cost
    synergy
    setup a spreadsheet (directive)

    I know that most of these seem innocuous enough, but it's obviously my personal workplace environment that has a lot to do with it!

    Anonymous said...

    I agree about nougat. For some reason the word 'monies' has always bugged me. The one I think I hate the most is 'proactive'.

    Anonymous said...

    As much as I like the object, I hate the word "nipple". Another cringe-worthy word is "moist".

    maru said...

    throughput
    margarine

    starting sentences with "so..."

    yeah, "nipple" bugs me, too

    Anonymous said...

    "Utilize" makes me grind my teeth.

    I love "meme" though...but only in the Richard Dawkins sense. Something else the politicians have ruined!

    Anonymous said...

    Impact. Every time I hear this or that had an impact, the question always comes to mind; "Did it leave a dent?"

    Affect and effect people. Great words, simple to use, clear in meaning and won't mar the furniture.